Saturday, July 28, 2012

July 21
    I got to go to a Chopcca wedding! The precession filed down from the hills into the town, settling out front of the legal building (there was another wedding taking place, so they had to wait a bit). All the women were decked out in their finest skirts and cape things, with as many bright colors as exists and can simultaneously be displayed. The groom however was wearing jeans and a leather jacket that said CAT on the back. He could have been working at a garage. Harp and violin music was played, food was eaten, and all the while a pickup football game was happening just being the wedding party. The ball would frequently roll into the middle of the festivities, and would be returned as if it was no biggie. No football game should be halted for a wedding.  Then it was time for the wedding, and usually only the couple and their parents go into the little room to actually sign the legal documents. Somehow, Edgar and I got to go in also, which was really kind of awkward. The whole time the couple looked totally stoic and I’d even go so far as to say terrified. I don’t know how old the guy was, but the girl was 17, and they already had a baby so that might explain it. No one else seemed to think the lack of joy was unusual though. Everyone here gets married around 17-20. People keep asking me if I’m a senorita or a senora, and when I tell them I’m a senorita, they tell me that I really have to get on finding a husband. Nope.

No comments:

Post a Comment