Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Some things:
It's been one week and still haven't found a warm shower.

9/10 Colombian families brews a pot of coffee every day (fact courtesy of Dan, who loves learning SO much he felt a need to share these juicy tidbits round the breakfast table)

I think Colombian men are required to join the police force for one year. We visited the police museum in Bogota and got a free tour by two young officers. The museum was not very interesting, but it was quite gross, with lots of pictures of dead and mutilated cartel members. And even a tile with some of Pablo Escobar's real blood! There was also this sign that said, in Spanish, "If you want to be happy for a day, party. If you want to be happy for a year, get married. But if you want to be happy for a lifetime, join the police force." I asked the officers, who by the way were wearing army garb and carrying really big guns, if that was true, and one of them said "Well, I think if you want to be happy you have to do what you really love doing." At which point the other officer chimed in " Yeah, for me it is music.  I love to play music."

I saw my first crime yesterday. I was in a taxi by myself in Bogota and we passed a taxi stopped in the middle of the road. Inside two women were fighting with their driver. Not arguing, but actually leaning over the seats grabbing and struggling with something. In the middle of the street. Since there are so many police around the city all the time, the taxi created enough of a commotion that some officers came running over with guns pointed right away, but it was still a little shaking. My taxi driver said something along the lines of "ah, everyday things of Bogota."

2 comments:

  1. be safe, claire my love. Sounds like you're having a real Colombian experience, just steer clear of dark alleys and sketchy men with tattooed faces and knives and pigeons. Miss you :) - Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha thanks melanie! miss YOU but see you in london for grad school? okay!

    ReplyDelete